Thursday, April 10, 2008

It's the issues, stupid.


If the primaries are any indication, this years election looks like it will have the highest voter turnout of any we've seen in our lifetime. It's great so many are getting involved to make some real changes. While speaking to some friends actively involved in working to elect Hillary Clinton, I casually asked why they supported her. Almost unanimously they agreed it was because of her stand on support of gay rights. Just out of curiosity I asked other friends who support Clinton the same question and was surprised to discover their response was much the same. Being both gay and undecided I was alarmed that so many I know seem to be single issue voters. Choosing to support a candidate merely because they are pandering to the GLBT community. I realize this may anger many who read this, and understand DOMA, Don't ask, don't tell and other unfair policies should be repealed but Gay Rights issues not a priority, at least not at the moment. With gas prices nearing $4 a gallon and an seemingly endless war we owe it to ourselves to take a long and careful look at each candidate and judge their worthiness on several issues. In all fairness, Sen. Clinton does seems to be willing to give more time to the GLBT press, it seems Sen. Obama, has chosen to take a more broad approach to reaching people by speaking in general about the issues. However, on his web page he does devote a section to address issues effecting the GLBT community.
Being undecided it's going to be a tough deciding who will get my support, but I plan to be fair and look at where everyone stands on all the issues. I hope my friends will do the same. One thing I am certain, Sen. McCain won't get my vote. 100 years in Iraq is too much for any country to bear.

No comments: